Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Sex, Drugs and... Bingo?

(Originally posted by Jill on Dec 20, 2007)



Tonight, I am the host of Rock&Roll Bingo. Until yesterday, I thought I was actually performing and singing a couple of songs. But I found out, from former host Wayne Kramer, that I will just be calling the numbers. Even Better. Past host have been Flea and Tom Morello, so I am very honored to crank the cage.

Rock & Roll Bingo, in their words is, "a non-profit organization … its purpose is to bring together musicians, fans of music, grassroots political organizations and community members to support various social charitable organizations and events. We aim to build a bridge between fans of music from around Southern California and local political and social organizations to effectively rally around issues of peace, human rights, the environment and economic justice."

My charity of choice for this evening is the Drug Policy Alliance. They are, in their words (I am too lazy and tired today to not quote)," the nation's leading organization of people who believe the war on drugs is doing more harm than good."

If you don't believe that marijuana should be illegal, and think that the drug laws, as they are now, are racially biased and harmful to society as a whole, then this is a swell group to give to. Plus, it's only $5 a bingo card.

Rock &Roll Bingo: tonight (7:00-10:00) at Crane's Hollywood Tavern

An idea: What would you people think if we did a tour of something like Rock & Roll Bingo? Would you go? Bingo is fun.

Last month, I took my mom to the corner bar in NYC (which happens to be the historic Stonewall Inn). Of course the bingo caller there was in full drag. She looked like an old Jewish Grandmother. When we walked in, she bellowed (in a very Long Island accent), "Oh, here come some lesbian lovers" When I said that she was my mother, the caller responded…"Oh that is Jerry Springer sick". Undeterred, we lasted through 4 games.

Bingo is hot.

No comments: