Monday, February 25, 2008

Too Sleepy for Politics (Michelle's First Blog)

(this was supposed to be Michelle's first post, but the video didn't work - Oct. 8, 2007)

I know it's a heated election year. I know that the news is fraught with Republican sex scandals, teenage idiots, celebrity suicide attempts, yada, yada, yada. So much to blog about... But I gotta be honest. I'm tired. I had a baby 4 months ago and while that's no one's fault but my own...man... it's exhausting.

I used to be up all hours - recording, playing late sets, hanging with the bands, etc and it was fine. I used to be able to function pretty well with little to no sleep. But this cumulative shit? Nightly wake ups at 12:30Am, then 3AM, then 5AM and so on.... It's bone crushing! And I have a really good baby (by most accepted good baby standards). He's always consolable - when he cries, he's either hungry or tired or bored, but usually... he's hungry. And that's where I come in.

So look, I know I'm not the first new parent to complain about the lack of sleep and I know I won't be the last, but here I am, surrounded by music and politics and politics and music and all I really care about is getting the baby to sleep so I can sleep too. I wrote him a lullaby and it seems to work. Jackson has what we call "the last gasp" - this bout of crazy loud wailing, like something is SO so wrong and the absolute WORST thing for him to do at that given moment is let himself fall asleep. And he'll be screaming and screaming with the volume on 11 and then boom, crash, bonk... he's out. Like a light. Sleeping like a baby. Etc.

This is for you, Jackson, my sweet boy.



No comments: